The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite acquired this image on March 22, 2018. Red outlines indicate hot spots where MODIS detected warm surface temperatures.
Editor’s Note: When first published, this story incorrectly attributed the plume to volcanic activity.
- Global Volcanism Program Santa Maria. Accessed March 23, 2018.
- Magma Cum Laude (2012, October 26) October 25, 1902: Santa Maria Erupts! Accessed March 23, 2018.
- Magma Cum Laude (2009, March 27) Santiaguito lava dome complex. Accessed March 23, 2018.
- National Geographic (2017, January 27) Why a Volcano Has Erupted Almost Every Hour for 94 Years. Accessed March 23, 2018.
- Climat Guatemala (2018, March 22) @ClimaenGuate. Accessed March 23, 2018.
- Volcano Discovery (2018, March) Volcano news: Santa Maria (Guatemala). Accessed March 23, 2018.
NASA Earth Observatory images by Jeff Schmaltz, using MODIS data from LANCE/EOSDIS Rapid Response. Caption by Adam Voiland.
- Terra - MODIS